Christian Chefs International Pan-Roasted Sirloin with Caramelized Onions and Port Wine Sauce
Yield: 8 servings
2ea Top sirloin steak, about one inch thick, 1.25 pounds (570 grams) each
1tsp (5ml) Salt
1/2tsp (2.5ml) Black pepper
1Tbsp (15ml) Olive oil
2ea Yellow onions, medium, sliced thin
6ea Prosciutto di Parma, thin slices, cut into thin strips
1/2cup (118ml) Port wine
1/2cup (118ml) Water
1tsp (5ml) Fresh thyme leaves
1/2cup (118ml) Stilton cheese, crumbled
1. Adjust a rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Season the sirloin with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot and then add the oil. Add the steak and sear the meat until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove the seared meat to a plate and add the onions and prosciutto to the pan. Brown the onions, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.
2. Once the onions have browned, remove the pan from the heat. Mound the onions into the center of the pan and place the meat directly over the onion mixture. Transfer pan to the oven. Cook the sirloin until desired doneness, about 20 minutes for medium-rare.
3. Remove the cooked sirloin to a clean plate to rest. Add the port, water, and thyme to the onion and prosciutto; simmer port to half its original volume.
4. Cut the sirloin into thin slices. Add any collected meat juices to the port sauce. Place the meat on a warm serving platter.
5. Top sirloin with the port sauce. Garnish with the Stilton cheese and serve immediately.