Chilled Cinnamon Apple & Pear Soup Author: Ira Krizo Yield: 1 Gallon (4 liters)
Being a real hot summer where I currently am in Southern Oregon, we've been making mostly chilled soups for the restaurant. I made this and was very pleased with it. All the seasonings are approximate, but pretty close, so taste it to make it as you like it. Also, make it pretty close to when you're planning to serve it, as the apples will turn a bit brown.
8 ea. Golden Delicious apples, diced
8 ea. ripe Anjou pears, diced
4 c (960 ml) sparkling apple cider
1 ea lemon, juiced
8 oz (225 g) sugar
3 tbsp (45 ml) ground cinnamon (to taste)
1/2 c (120 ml) heavy cream
1) Combine the apples, pears, half of the apple cider, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon.
2) Simmer until apples are tender.
3) Puree the mixture in a food mill or blender and pass through a fine strainer.
4) Add cream, check seasoning (cinnamon, sugar, and lemon), and chill.
5) Garnish with a nutmeg cream (whip soft peak, add nutmeg and powdered sugar, and put in squirt bottle to make your choice of designs).
If you have a good recipe to share, or have a question about any of the techniques or ingredients mentioned in this one please feel free to post it at our Facebook Page.