This is one of the most well-known dishes in Sweden and is served on a smorgasbord, for lunch, or as a late night supper. It can be prepared ahead of time and then reheated later using a little extra cream or milk.
1) Peel the potatoes and onions. Coarsely shred the potatoes. Slice or chop the onion and saute it in a little butter for 5 minutes.
2) Alternate layers of potatoes, onion, and anchovies in a lightly greased baking dish, the top and bottom layers consisting of potatoes.
3) Pour half the cream and 2-3 tbsp anchovy juice over the casserole. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
4) Bake in the oven at 435'F (225'C) for 45 minutes. Baste the outer edges of the casserole with the remaining cream towards the end of the 45 minutes.
5) Serve together with bread, butter, cheese, and a tossed salad.