Ingredients for the Cake:
Ingredients for the Filling
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup (118ml) sugar
- 4 Tablespoons (60ml) sugar (for the egg whites)
- 6 ounces (170mg) bitter-sweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (60ml) boiling coffee
- 1 stick (1/4lb or 113mg) melted butter
- 2 cups (473ml) of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (118ml) of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons (5ml) vanilla
- Bring coffee to a boil and pour over chocolate. Mix until smooth.
- In a mixer with the whip attachment, place the egg yolks and 1/2 cup (118ml) of sugar. Whip until yolks are thick and light yellow in color.
- Transfer this mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Clean mixer bowl and whip attachment.
- Fold chocolate mixture into egg yolk mixture.
- In a clean mixer whip egg whites to soft moist peaks. Add the 4 Tablespoons (60ml) of sugar to the whites while whipping.
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and paint with melted butter.
- Fold whites into the chocolate egg yolk mixture.
- Scrape into prepared pan and slide into a 350'F (177'C) oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Whip the 2 cups (473ml) of heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Loosen cake by running a knife around the pan edges, turn out onto a parchment paper. If the cake is a little sticky, dust parchment with cocoa powder.
- Spread whipped cream over cake and roll cake up like a jelly roll or a delicate, expensive rug, using the parchment to help the rolling. Wrap in heavy duty foil.
- Transfer to a pan and place in refrigerator or freezer until firm.
If you have a good recipe to share, or have a question about any of the techniques or ingredients mentioned in this one please feel free to post it at our Facebook Page.